Morgan Spurlock Inside ManNext episode: Sunday April 27 @ 10pm ET/PT on CNN
July 23rd, 2013

Spurlock's grandmother's active life

This week on "Inside Man," Morgan Spurlock travels to Griffithsville, West Virginia to uncover the reality of retirement, health care, and aging.

In this clip, Morgan Spurlock escorts his 91-year-old grandmother, Tootie, to her 74-year high school reunion and discusses how Tootie maintains an active life that includes friends, family, shopping, and weekly visits to the beauty parlor.

Filed under: Elder Care
  1. Lorin Marie

My sister & I have been going through this process with our mother for several years now. She is dying from dementia. Very slow and agonizing process. People don't believe me when I try to explain the cost that is involved and that Medicare does not pay for this. Your journey is so very accurate and I am so glad you have done this segment. Last weeks segment was right on target also. I will be continuing to watch your shows. Thank you for your service

August 3, 2013 at 9:20 pm | Reply
  2. Laura

This was a very moving program. I have a 94 year old mother in the exact position as Tootie. Thankfully with 3 grown children living close by, we can check on her daily but this program is a reminder that things can change very quickly.
    It was very difficult but we have had some of those end of life discussions....I hope it will make things easier when the time comes....
    thank You for bringing this subject to everyone's attention..
    I am truly sorry for your loss.

August 3, 2013 at 9:13 pm | Reply
  3. joni

This was a very touching program and a very personal glimpse into your family's loss. I thought it was very interesting to see the elder care perspective from a more rural setting, and I think this documentary brings up conversations everyone needs to have. However, I would like to see more info on elder care in the more suburban/urban setting. As this was one's personal story, it couldn't really delve into all the complications. I have been helping my mother for the past 10+ years, and this summer, as she has basically run out of financial options and started entering the skilled nursing system, has been a very rough road. There's a completely different story there.

July 30, 2013 at 6:05 pm | Reply
  4. Sacha C.

Morgan first and foremost I'm so glad to see you on CNN, I've been following you ever since I discovered you on SUPER SIZE ME, you are an awesome documentarian. I watched the episode of elder care last night and the story of your "tootsie" touched me so much I cried. My condolences to you and your family for your loss. This is a topic that is always on my mind since my mother suffered a stroke eight years ago in her mid 50's, she's been on disability ever since. I always think about my aging parents and that they might outlive their retirement income and what would happen if I need to care for one of them. It's an important topic and I hope this episode will open everyone's thoughts about it and start a discussion.

July 29, 2013 at 9:52 pm | Reply
  5. Susan

This was the most touching, personal, yet universal film about aging and passing on with a hard look at the very real issues each family faces as a loved one fails. This was my first Morgan Spurlock "Inside Man" and will be the first of many. Morgan, you have a gift for pulling in the viewer's mind and heart.

July 29, 2013 at 9:22 am | Reply
  6. Shirley DeRuchie

This is one of the best programs I have seen on elders. I am going on 85 , like your Grandmother I want to be home and run my own "show" and I am finding some of us determined to do that make it longer than most.
    Life changes so much when we lose our mates.
    As your Grandmother mentioned having caring friends and relatives are what help us endure the changes.
    What a compassionate young man you are, this is just a wonderful program I think everyone dealing with us "old folks" should see. Many thanks

July 29, 2013 at 2:25 am | Reply