Morgan Spurlock: Inside ManJoin us for Season 3 in 2015
July 9th, 2013

Morgan Spurlock researches illegal immigration

On the Sunday, July 14 edition of Inside Man, host Morgan Spurlock researches illegal immigration issues from the inside when he tries his hand at a job as a migrant farm worker in Polk County Florida, a job that is rarely filled by American citizens. Morgan struggles to keep up with the other workers as he attempts to fill his quota of picking eight tubs of oranges a day. During the much needed lunch break Morgan's supervisor gives an honest assessment of his work.

Filed under: Morgan Spurlock
  1. bruce geiger

Spurlock is a beginner picking oranges and not adept at avoiding the sharp spikes on the trees.
    The migrants are not able to do his job for many reasons having to do with education and lack of opportunities.
    Spurlock and the migrants are alike in that they search out new opportunities.
    The central problem is that there are more potential migrants, that want to migrate, than we can afford to support with our social safety nets.
    So there must be a gatekeeper with rules and regulations.
    These rules and regulations are "broken" because they must be capricious.
    Whatever is done will be wrong.
    But, the oranges must be picked and the trees still have spikes.

November 10, 2013 at 8:41 am | Reply
  2. susan linda Moss Hernandez

to the nay sayers, many people who are born in this country live off, of my taxes, and are too lazy to work. I volunteer with a church ministry for the poor, most of the Americans who come to us for assistance DO not work, and neither want to work...BUT the immigrant, not necessarily all from south of the border, appreciate the words hard work. I have been involved with this for over 30 years so I do know what I am talking about, and I am not sitting on the sidelines judging others because of the color of their skin...get involved with your community..and , I am a Brit & an immigrant, married to an Hispanic, who is a veteran of the United states Military..!!

November 10, 2013 at 7:13 am | Reply
    • taluson

That's why we need to force our own healthy people to do these jobs or get off welfare. I said healthy not the sick. I'ts shit work but I've done it. We just got a bunch of lazy assholes in this country living off the system. Drop welfare for anyone that is healthy and offer them these jobs or starve. I bet they would start working.

April 25, 2014 at 4:49 pm | Reply
  3. Worried citizen

My parents came here legally many years ago even now my father has siblings that wish to come to the us but do not want to break the law, I understand that many illegal immigrants want to improve their families lives but the US cannot be the only ones to carry this burden the countries of the illegal Iimmigrants countries have to do something to improve their society and chances for hope, Why should I give rights to a person that came here illegally when I went to visit Mexico I was treated as such a visitor and there are laws in place to keep me from owning business without the right money or taking over, I honor plenty of good hardworking illegal immigrants and now that this problem has been allowed reforms must be done but something has to be done to discontinue the problem and to discourage illegal immigration

November 3, 2013 at 11:03 pm | Reply
  4. Seriously?

Why don't you come to DFW next time? My tax money pays for their WIC, food stamps, their free medical, their crime, and ESL teachers and lunches for their many, many children. Meanwhile, they are driving around in brand new Suburbans and Escalades with rims, flying the Mexican flag, and irritated that I don't speak Spanish. I am sure there are some who are hard working, but if you come live a middle-class life down here, you probably won't have such a bleeding heart.

August 12, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Reply
    • Marilynne

Watch the documentary "They Come To America" and the sequel "They Come To America II" which just came out. It tells your story, which is quite different than this corporate propaganda piece.

August 13, 2013 at 3:57 pm | Reply
    • Arturo

Why don't you go ahead and watch the documentary first instead of relying on ridiculous assumptions.

September 27, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Reply
  5. bloomie1954

When Morgan picked oranges in Florida for one day, it reminded me of the day in 1975 when I picked lemons in California in 1975. Like Spurlock I was a lousy picker compared to the pros. I made $10 and didn't go back. But I knew I'd be able to tell the story of the day I picked lemons in California. Thanks, Morgan...

July 27, 2013 at 11:04 pm | Reply
  6. Jeff

I just finished watching this, and it was about what I expected. To echo what James said, many large American corporations heavily use undocumented immigrants, both for the purpose of paying significantly lower wages than they would an American worker, and also to obtain a docile, frightened workforce scared to speak out over mistreatment and poor working conditions. I don't know if Spurlock is using a "liberal" bias, so much as he is forced to air a light, pro-immigrant treatise. CNN, like virtually every other news program/channel on TV, is corporate-owned. Since corporations love cheap immigrant labor, they're not going to inform us about the many dark sides of illegal immigration, both in social costs and in the further weakening of the American working class. Globalization and illegal immigration were a crippling one-two punch to the American worker, and to rub a little extra salt in the wound, people (including the immigrants on Spurlock's program) will call American workers "lazy". Not true. I do think Spurlock is a smart man and he recognizes this, but at the same time, he's constrained from going down this particular line of discussion by his employers at CNN.

July 21, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Reply
    • taluson

perhaps your hungry enough to do the job but most people would be outraged if to pay for welfare they had to do this. I know plenty of people willing to do this work if need be but they already have jobs.

April 25, 2014 at 4:53 pm | Reply
  7. Amanda C

No Amnesty. You must live in a bubble. Let me introduce myself. I am 30 years old, born and raised in Texas by immigrant parents who legalized back in 1985. I am the oldest of 6. We've never been on welfare, medicaid, or any govt assistance programs. My father owns a landscaping business and my mother is a stay at home mom. I am currently working on my law degree, but only after getting my Master's degree. Should I go on about how my other siblings are also in college, some with full rides due to their academic excellence? When you assume that immigrants are losers.....does my family sound like loser? Are we not what many American families would like to achieve?? According to you, since my parents were undocumented, granted amnesty in 1985...I should be pregnant with my 6 child, on welfare and working as your housekeeper. HAHAHA. That is too funny. I truly am happy to disappoint close-minded, ignorant people such as yourself. Maybe you should travel a little....experience life an other cultures......learn to live in this WORLD.....where not one race, people, fit every stereotype idiots such as yourself post. Have a wonderful day!

July 17, 2013 at 11:48 am | Reply
    • Marilynne

Two questions:
      Under what program did you receive amnesty in 1985? Just curious because the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act was in 1986.
      Second, are you sure you have a masters degree – "where not one race" s/b "we're not one race", no?

July 17, 2013 at 8:28 pm | Reply
  8. NoAmnesty13

Let's help Spurlock out with his research

1. $11 Billion to $22 billion is spent on welfare to illegal
    aliens each year. http://tinyurl.com/zob77

2. $1.9 Billion dollars a year is spent on food assistance
    programs such as food stamps, WIC, and free school
    lunches for illegal aliens.

3. $2.5 Billion dollars a year is spent on Medicaid for
    illegal aliens.

4. $12 Billion dollars a year is spent on primary and
    secondary school education for children here illegally
    and they cannot speak a word of English! http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0604/01/ldt.01.html

5. $17 Billion dollars a year is spent for education for the American-born children of illegal aliens, known as anchor babies.

6. $3 Million Dollars a DAY is spent to incarcerate illegal aliens.

7. 30% percent of all Federal Prison inmates are illegal aliens.

8. $90 Billion Dollars a year is spent on illegal aliens for
    Welfare and Social Services by the American taxpayers.

9. $200 Billion Dollars a year in suppressed American
    wages are caused by the illegal aliens.

10. The illegal aliens in the United States have a crime
    rate that's two-and-a-half times that of white non-illegal
    aliens. In particular, their children, are going to make a
    huge additional crime problem in the US.

11. During the year of 2005 there were 4 to 10 MILLION illegal aliens that crossed our Southern Border also, as many as 19,500 illegal aliens from Terrorist Countries. Millions of pounds of drugs, cocaine, meth, heroin and marijuana, crossed into the U. S from the Southern border.
    Homeland Security Report.

12. The National Policy Institute, estimated that the total
    cost of mass deportation would be between $206 and $230 billion or an average cost of between $41 and $46 billion annually over a five year period.

13. In 2006 illegal aliens sent home $45 BILLION in remittances back to their countries of origin. http://www.rense.com/general75/niht.htm

14. 'The Dark Side of Illegal Immigration:
    Nearly One Million Sex Crimes Committed by Illegal
    Immigrants In The United States.

July 16, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Reply
  9. Mary

Thank you for showing America one ofnthe many phases or immigration. Immigrants are here to "work hard" and better themselves like any other race. Do you blame them? I know dor a fact that They are NOT taking our jobs because those jobs are unsafe and brutal. They are doing what is required to take care of their families period. The best part of your documentary to me was that you made it VERY clear that they PAY taxes just like us but they DO NOT get any type of benefit in return. The bottom line- everything in US is linked to funds and money. Business owners get their cut, the state of Flroida get millions of dollars from them, we get cheaper fruits and vegetables and the only ones that suffer are the immigrants. Really? I sometimes wonder if they are the new era of "slavery" in America. No freedom! ALWAYS living in fear, unsafe working conditions, low wages, poor education and wages. Let's start by UNDOING-RACISM in America.

July 15, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Reply
    • Cristina

Well said Mary. That is exactly what I think!! Good for you!

July 17, 2013 at 10:50 am | Reply
    • Evelyn

I totally agree with you Mary! These people are so talented in what they do and all we can say in return is that they are taking Americans jobs away. People open your eyes wider and stop being so racist. Admit that illegals are doing the jobs U.S. citizens don't want to do and thank them. Oh and the person above...I don't know where in the world you got those stats from but maybe you should research them again.

November 7, 2013 at 10:13 pm | Reply
    • Jona

Mary I agree!

December 31, 2013 at 4:23 pm | Reply
  10. jose rodriguez

I'm glad that they are showing the truth on how imigrants are here working hard to take care of their families not here to steal jobs as so many say don't forget we do everything others don't want too

July 14, 2013 at 11:22 pm | Reply
    • Fed-Up

And get plenty of free stuff in return, so stop with your whining!!!!!

November 10, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Reply
  11. Andrew

Great show. Dispels the many misconceptions that Americans have about illegal immigrants. Thanks to these workers, Americans enjoy low prices at the grocery store. And, unlike what conservatives claim, illegal immigrants get nothing in return other than a taxed low wage.

July 14, 2013 at 10:53 pm | Reply
  12. fghuy

Thank u so much that finaly someone realizes and appreciates the hard work of illegal immigrants and how much we go through... Therefore immigration reform should pass. Great job inside man

July 14, 2013 at 10:38 pm | Reply
  13. Anthony

Judging from the show's synopsis, it doesn't appear that the host will be taking a balanced perspective on illegal immigration. Like other celebrity pseudo journalists before him (Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert), Spurlock report will probably only look at migrant farmers, and not how other illegal immigrants will disproportionately hurt working class Americans and the environment.

Even during normal economic downturns, it has been metaphorically said that when whites catch a cold, blacks get the flu. Since African Americans have the highest unemployment rate of any group, it is little wonder that the Black American Leadership Alliance (BALA) has organized an anti-amnesty march and rally - the DC March for Jobs - in Washington, D.C. on Monday, July 15th.

However, blacks are not the only ones who should be concerned about amnesty. Teens, new college grads and the ecology will be impacted from the amnesty. For years, states like Alabama, Florida and Georgia have been in litigation for water to pace with growth.
    I hope Mr. Spurlock will weigh amnesty’s butterfly effect on those of us who are not white and wealthy like he is. Unlike his, our children’s futures will not be ensured with trust funds and they will have to settle for the fewer green spaces amnesty’s 33 million work visas in just ten years will harbinger. Please send a http://www.numbersusa.com fax to your congressman to reject this bill.

July 11, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Reply
    • Mary

blah blah blah in his show at least Morgan is working in the fields. What do you baggers do besides complaining like crybabies, obstructing and spreading your venom? Who is preventing you to work in the fields, construction, house cleaning, meat packing, child or elderly care, et al? NOBODY. Instead of complaining, do something useful at least once in your life go and do those jobs lazy bum !!!

July 14, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Reply
    • Marilynne

Well Anthony, I just watched it and it is nothing more than a corporate propaganda piece. It almost made me cry to see how weak and soft Americans have become. Mr. Spurlock is a wuss and depicts Americans as such too.

Naturally he could not keep pace with the experienced workers, no one could on their first day on a new job. He whined liked crazy.

Mr. Spurlock, my parents (2nd/3rd generation Americans) back in the 1930's picked fruit and vegetables in the summer on the Long Island farms like most American kids back then to help the family and bring in extra money – it was the Depression days. My father went on to be a plumber learning the trade from his Dad. He worked long days and 6 day workweeks. If he didn't work he didn't get paid. It was back breaking work, hauling, cutting and soldering heavy lead, cast iron and galvanized pipes as well as digging ditches, getting on your back under sinks, in holes. They carried heavy cast iron boilers and other equipment up and down stairs as well as plunged toilets and fixed clogs. Not glamorous, but respectable. His hands were always dirty regardless of how much DAP he used, dark grease impressed into the lines of his hands. But he made a respectable living and fed his 5 kids.

Americans can and should do these jobs but they have been conditioned to think they shouldn't or can't or maybe that these jobs are beneath them and that is very sad. The country does not need more lawyers, we need more doers. The country was built on hard workers and the fact that hard work is something Americans won't do (as your show depicts) will be our downfall, shame on us.

In 1986 the politicians pulled the same line – we needed "Comprehensive Immigration Reform", They said there was 1 million illegal immigrants – it turned out to be 3 million. By 1989, the press reported the reform was failing – what did Chuck Schumer do? Did he and others hold hearings to determine why illegals continue to come and why the border was not secure and fix the problem then? No. They did NOTHING for 25 years. No that's wrong. They did everything to encourage more illegals and ensure the borders were open. For heaven sake, the IRS purposely gives out Tax ID numbers so they can file tax returns and get the refundable child tax credits and Earned Income credits. The politicians and their staff are fully responsible for this mess.

I do not blame the illegals. You need to watch the video of Obama's aunt because she tells it well. She appropriately states that we are the fools for operating the way we do. She is right. (BTW, she was here illegally getting publicly paid for housing and other benefits). I blame the Chuck Schumer's and other politicians. They created this problem – we can not trust them to fix it. Until the borders are secured and permanently fixed and Americans are all working again we should not take on the responsibility for 33 million illegal immigrants who broke our laws. Mr. Schumer needs to prepare a report for Americans that evaluates the 1986 reform and its key provisions, explains why it failed and proves why the 2013 is going to be different before anything is voted upon.

July 15, 2013 at 3:03 am | Reply
      • taluson

Glad to see someone with common sense.

January 5, 2014 at 10:50 am |
    • Anibal Hernandez

Rally for jobs?, there are jobs, but they don't want to do it.

July 16, 2013 at 3:30 am | Reply
  14. Rafa

Well,thank you!!!! U showing on national tv why we are here,for work,work,work.And is not just on the fields,is everywhere,(restaurants,hotels,factories,yards ,etc,etc,etc)We do "the job" the Americans DON WANT TO DO.

July 9, 2013 at 7:27 pm | Reply
    • jim

No you work for wages Americans will not.

July 15, 2013 at 1:50 am | Reply
      • taluson

you mean they are too proud to take. We give the laziest people in our country welfare to liven on and most of the woman on it have their broke ass men staying with them. Problem is they are not hungry enough to take the jobs. Free trade has destroyed most of the factory work and McDonald's does not want to pay their help living wages.

April 25, 2014 at 4:59 pm |
    • James

Most companies like Chili's, Applebee's, and McDonald's use illegal workers that have "papers". They do this because they pay less now in real money than they did 20 years ago when most in the kitchen were Americans. They're not doing jobs Americans won't do they're doing jobs that American's won't do for that wage. The only ones that win in this whole situation are the corporations that get cheap labor with no benefits.

July 15, 2013 at 4:09 am | Reply
      • Araceli

Same true and old story for the past 30 years, now is just exposed on national TV. We need to support a reform to limit this modern slavery, these workers,as my parents did, made these sacrifices, risking our lives in an effort to get us out of poverty, violence and corruption so we have a safer living conditions and education. Yes I did pick the fields and now I am in search for even higher achievements for my american kid, just like any other parent. They don't ask for pity or handouts, they ask for an opportunity for their children and a more human treatment and respect for what they do in exchange for their cheap backbreaking labor. Not even animals live in fear and in the dark. Is not a FREE ride as you can see in this very accurate documentary. Stories like Pascual's family are the norm and we were many struggling as teens for higher education in the past 2 decades as second and third generations of migrants. Thank you for keeping comments respectful and courteous.

July 16, 2013 at 12:11 am |
    • NoAmnesty13

>>We do "the job" the Americans DON WANT TO DO.
      That's according to Rafa...then after getting paid these 'workers' go out and drive drunk killing Americans....

Let's help Spurlock out with his research, here is more information that Spurlock could have found before dumping this liberal propaganda out on CNN:

1. $11 Billion to $22 billion is spent on welfare to illegal
      aliens each year. http://tinyurl.com/zob77

2. $1.9 Billion dollars a year is spent on food assistance
      programs such as food stamps, WIC, and free school
      lunches for illegal aliens.

3. $2.5 Billion dollars a year is spent on Medicaid for
      illegal aliens.

4. $12 Billion dollars a year is spent on primary and
      secondary school education for children here illegally

6. $3 Million Dollars a DAY is spent to incarcerate illegal aliens.

7. 30% percent of all Federal Prison inmates are illegal aliens.

8. $90 Billion Dollars a year is spent on illegal aliens for
      Welfare and Social Services by the American taxpayers.

9. $200 Billion Dollars a year in suppressed American
      wages are caused by the illegal aliens.

10. The illegal aliens in the United States have a crime
      rate that's two-and-a-half times that of white non-illegal
      aliens. In particular, their children, are going to make a
      huge additional crime problem in the US.

Homeland Security Report.

12. The National Policy Institute, estimated that the total

14. 'The Dark Side of Illegal Immigration:
      Nearly One Million Sex Crimes Committed by Illegal
      Immigrants In The United States.

July 16, 2013 at 11:38 am | Reply